Saturday, August 29, 2009

Loss

One thought that I forgot to mention that was in the post I lost. It was seeing the casket of Ted Kennedy causing flashbacks to 63 and 68.
Also I didn't mention how depressing it is reading Buzz Aldrin's autobiography. I haven't gotten very far but just remembering that I thought our landing on the moon was the beginning of a new era of space exploration and cooperation among the people of the earth. I was a Star Trek fan as well as a reader of other science fiction, not science fantasy. 2009 is not at all what I hoped it would have been 40 years ago.

2 comments:

  1. Bob and I were just now listening to Obama give his eulogy at Kennedy's funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let the current state of the world get you down. I must admit it's becoming clear to me that if I want to see human beings break the light barrier and venture to the stars, I may just have to do it myself, perhaps with a little help from my friends. I once had a Ukrainian student who was admitted to Harvard summer school but the US Embassy would not grant her a visa. Appeals to Harvard prompted a call from Ted Kennedy to the Embassy here and he raised hell with the woman handling visas. After that she grudgingly said "sorry" to me on the phone. Viktoria was the student's name. She was beautiful, but married to another Ukrainian.

    I teach three courses this semseter, a lot.

    ReplyDelete